Brooklyn Institute for Social Research is expanding its media programming! We’re looking for an experienced, versatile, self-motivated, and intellectually curious AV technician to perform a variety of AV tasks—from podcast production to video editing to streaming and live engineering—as we gear up to launch a new consolidated media website. This half-time position is ideally suited for freelance or other flexible workers in the NYC-metro area with an interest in critical humanities and social sciences content. Qualified candidates will have 2+ years of hands-on experience with contemporary AV hardware and software, as well as facility with a variety of social media platforms; preferred candidates will have basic knowledge of web design and site management. Hours will vary from week to week, with regular evening and occasional weekend availability a must.
Total compensation is $25-30K for an approximate 40 hours/month commitment. This consists of a base salary, 100% health care coverage (including dental, psych, and other services), options for profit sharing, and the opportunity to audit BISR courses. If desired and qualified, successful candidates for the position are invited to apply to teach courses at BISR as Associate Faculty—which comes along with its own privileges and benefits, including additional pay in accordance with the BISR teaching model, with faculty earning 70% of enrollment fees.
AV duties include:
- Audio engineering with standard recording mics (BISR owns a complement of SM58s, XLR cables, etc.) and mixing equipment, principally for podcasts; to get a feel for the various podcast channels, please have a listen here for cultural criticism, here for music criticism, here for the interview format, and here for a sample of our live events
- Audio editing for various platforms (we use Audacity internally but are open to other software platforms if desired)
- Streaming direct to Facebook, YouTube, Twitch, and other platforms, and also using OBS and other streaming tools
- Video editing, ranging from short-form ads to long-form events, lectures, etc.
- Tech set-up for events, including mics, cameras, speakers, etc.
- Occasional still photography
- Occasional off-site audio and video recording
Social media duties may include:
- Editing and posting content across platforms—including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, etc.—in accordance with the standards established in the BISR handbook, with oversight from the Program Director and Executive Director
Technical competencies include:
- Thorough knowledge of audio engineering programs – required
- Experience with streaming – required
- Basic knowledge of WordPress (site templates, integration plugins, general maintenance and troubleshooting) – strongly preferred
- Basic knowledge of web design (UX/UI, html, CSS) – preferred
The position will begin immediately. Applications are being considered as received, and interviews are already underway. No applications will be considered after March 3, 2023. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.