Brooklyn Institute for Social Research (BISR) is seeking a full-time Finance Manager. This position will be responsible for performing all bookkeeping duties, in addition to some general administration and office management. The Finance Manager will join the Operations Manager and Program Director as a member of the BISR administrative team, under the supervision of the Executive Director and Founder.
BISR is an interdisciplinary teaching and research institute that offers critical, community-based education in the humanities and social sciences. Holding courses both online and in person (in partnership with local businesses and cultural organizations), we integrate rigorous but accessible scholarly study with the everyday lives of working adults and re-imagine scholarship for the 21st century.
Founded in 2012 with a single course on Aristotle and Plato in the back of a New York City bar, we work with national and international cultural organizations, local bookstores, cafes, businesses, and community spaces to offer a full curriculum of affordable seminars in subjects that range from philosophy and feminist theory to biology and economics. Our faculty are all gifted scholar-pedagogues with a broad array of expertise acquired through their doctoral work, academic and popular writing, industry experience, and in the classroom itself.
- maintain Quickbooks Online
- reconcile monthly accounts
- make payments to all independent contractors
- process bi-weekly payroll with Paychex
- maintain cash flow projection spreadsheet to discuss with the Executive Director
- produce profit and loss and balance sheet reports for the Executive Director as needed
- process 1099s
- coordinate with the accountant for the annual financial review and/or audit process
Human Resources Duties
- provide requisite personnel forms and contracts for all new hires
- provide Paychex with new employee information
- solicit bank account information from new employees and independent contractors
Office Administration Duties
- fulfill merchandise orders
- purchase office and programming supplies
- make bank deposits as needed
- miscellaneous tasks as required
- 2-3 years of experience with Quickbooks Pro required
- fluency in Excel
- fluency in Google Drive
- experience with WordPress a plus
- cash management and experience with cash flow projections a plus
- familiarity with critical issues in the humanities and social sciences, as well as a general belief in the value of BISR’s mission
- non-profit experience a plus
The salary is $47,500/year. Benefits include employer-paid medical and dental and paid time off.
BISR is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected status. We strongly encourage applications from women and historically underrepresented minority groups.
Employees must be fully-vaccinated (as defined by the CDC). BISR currently works on a hybrid work schedule: for three days we work onsite at our office in DUMBO, and for two days, remotely. We offer flexibility in devising a schedule suitable to the applicant’s needs, but the position does require working a minimum of three days per week onsite.
Application Deadline: 1/2/2022
Application Instructions: Please submit your resume and cover letter to Program Director Mark DeLucas (firstname.lastname@example.org).